Monday 27 February 2012

Western Excursion/Rwanda Week


Hey everybody!

So I’ve been really bad about updating this, but hopefully this long post will give a good update of some things I’ve been up to. Last night we returned from our week-long excursion to Western Uganda and Rwanda, and it was SUCH an amazing experience. I’ll start by going through all the places we visited and things we did last week…sorry if this post is long.

On Monday of last week, we visited the Millennium Village Project in Ruhira, Western Uganda. The project is based on achieving the UN’s Millennium Development Goals which are really ambitious goals aimed at alleviating the world’s largest poverty issues drastically by 2015 (they include free universal primary education, reducing HIV/AIDS, reducing poverty levels of those who live on less than $1/day, etc). It was a really cool project to see in action, as its taking the holistic plan of action to reduce poverty in all aspects. They’ve installed solar panels, clean water sanitation and drainage systems, created better schooling and business opportunities and more. Personally, I really like this approach to development because it teaches the poorest of the poor or the most remote rural villages to grow and develop on their own, without complete reliance on foreign aid. The project is aimed at pulling out of the village in 2015, so by this point the village should be self-sustainable and the experiment will hopefully be a lesson on how to achieve the Millennium Development Goals in other impoverished areas around the world.

On Tuesday we went to Uganda’s largest refugee settlement in Nakivaale. It has 60,000 refugees of 12 different nationalities, and it was an incredibly difficult but rewarding experience. When we first got off the bus, we were swarmed by refugees wanting to talk to us and inquire why we were there. Right off the bat the experience became overwhelming because many of the people expressed their distrust in whites as outsiders constantly arrive in the settlement and don’t ever bring truly beneficial change or hope. One guy who was extremely intoxicated (and as we learned later, was also mentally unstable) approached my friend Aimee and I and started scolding us about how we were full while he was dying of hunger. Then he pointed at my pink fingernails and made me feel awful about how I have money and time to paint my nails while he’s dying. This initial experience was really tough, but the day got better as we talked to more sane people. We got split up into groups to explore the different nationalities of the camp, and I got put in the Horn of Africa group so I got to speak to Somalis, Ethiopians and Eritreans. The experience was especially cool because I felt like I was in the Horn of Africa for the afternoon because these people in general look different from East Africans. Their mainly taller, lighter-skinned, and have different facial features, so it was really cool to spend time with a different group of people than I’m used to. We had two awesome Somali women guides, one named Halima who was elderly and such a strong woman. She was really educated and had even studied in Italy, but lost everything 15 years ago with the political conflict and instability in Somalia, and has lived in the settlement ever since. The majority of the people we talked to came to Uganda because it’s the most stable of the neighboring countries, but still had a lot of complaints about how the United Nations High Commission for Refugees is running the camp and providing aid. It was all really interesting to hear on a first-hand basis, and a topic I’d really like to explore more at some point. The majority of the refugees are Congolese, and then there are Rwandans, Burundians, Kenyans, Somalis, Ethiopians, and Eritreans. All of them feel unsafe returning home and some even said they felt like they had no nationality or home when asked if they ever wanted to return.

Wednesday was the drive to Rwanda, and the bus ride was awesome because we passed through the most gorgeous hillside and rural areas I’ve ever seen. There was nonstop hills and miles and miles of green farms and land. When we arrived in Rwanda at night, we first went to the Rwandan Governance Board for a lecture. I did a lot of research/papers on Rwanda and the current government led by Paul Kagame so I was really curious to hear what they had to say. They had a largely positive and optimistic view on the government, and they went on and on about how low their corruption levels are and how far they’ve come since the genocide. I agree they have made tremendous strides since the devastation of the 1994 genocide, but Kagame has been in power for almost two decades and is far from democratic. We found out later on that we had spies following us the entire time we were there to keep tabs on us and figure out what we were doing. At our hotel our passports were even taken so they could record our information. This was really, really fascinating to me because it became evident quickly how much military power and control Kagame has over the entire country. On another note, we all enjoyed Kigali (the capital of Rwanda) a lot though because it is SO much cleaner and organized than Kampala. In Kampala walking through or riding in traffic is literally a fight for survival, but in Kigali it was pretty much like being in America.

Thursday was Genocide Memorial Day, and the whole experience of that is really hard to put into words. No matter how much you read or hear about the genocide, nothing can really prepare you for being there and experiencing the sites where so many people died. We first went to the Nyamata site, which is a Catholic Church where 10,000 people were killed in a single day: April 15, 1994. The church is now filled with the infinite bundles of clothes of those who died there, and the lot behind it is a mass grave for them. Being in there was so eerie, and it made the horror of the genocide very real. The second church in Ntarama was a site where  5,000 people, mostly women and children, were killed between April 15th and 16th, 1994. It was mostly women and children killed because the men were on the hill nearby launching a counterattack to try and fight the interhamwe, or perpetrators of the genocide. In the main church building, there are bundles of clothes of the victims and various coffins as bodies are even STILL being found in the surrounding area. The guide pointed to the newest one, saying that that body had been found just the week prior. He then showed us the machetes, clubs, and axes recovered from the site which made it horrifyingly real how personal and atrocious the genocide had been. The killers didn’t usually use guns, but instead killed with the most rudimentary weapons that required them to be right next to their victims, inflicting the most painful, prolonged deaths possible.
Don’t read this paragraph if you don’t want graphic details. We then went into the Sunday School room, where I was the most overwhelmed and completely lost it. This room during the killings was reserved for “smashing” babies on the wall and raping the women. There is still a huge black stain on the wall where babies were “held by the foot” and smashed against the wall, so the stain is a mixture of “blood and brains”. The image of the stain on the wall will forever be burned into my memory. Then the guide picked up a large wooden stick that had been sharpened at the point and told us that that’s what the killers used to kill the women by shoving it through them after raping them repeatedly. At this point I almost fainted from being so disgusted and upset, and was immediately overcome by tears and a rush of emotions. I don’t think those feelings or memories will ever leave me, and it will be a constant reminder of how blessed and lucky I am because I can’t even come close to imagine experiencing such terror.

We finished the day up with the Kigali Genocide Memorial, which is a museum and also mass grave for more than 250,000 corpses recovered after the genocide. It was a really great museum, and I’m glad the country has constructed something that can help future generations learn from this horrible failure in humanity. On Friday, we went to the Kigali Free Trade Zone, which was interesting because it has the potential to greatly expand Rwanda’s economic and trade potential. The afternoon was then free to explore, which was a nice release from such a heavy few days. We ate lunch at a very “mzungu” café (meaning it was targeted at white people with its coffee and American dishes) and then went had a drink at the Hotel des Milles Collines. This hotel is the one that the movie Hotel Rwanda is based on, because the manager of the hotel was able to save 2,000 people during the genocide here by hiding them in rooms. It was kind of eerie being somewhere where that had happened but was now a functioning, very nice hotel, but we really enjoyed the experience of having a great view of the city and having a margarita by the pool.

Saturday was the return to Uganda, and when we made it to Queen Elizabeth National Park in the evening we got to do a safari boat ride on Lake Edward. It was AWESOME, and I’m so happy because I got to see the animals that I didn’t see on my safari in Kenya. The area has the largest concentration of hippos in the world, and so they were literally everywhere. We also got to see crocodiles, many elephants, tons of birds, warthogs, colobus monkeys, and cape buffalo. It was so gorgeous being on the water, and I really loved seeing the elephants and hippos. We then slept in a safari lodge for the night, where there were warthogs, bats and other things stirring around us. Sunday morning we did a game drive in the bus, and we saw more of those same things, AND a lion! We were all so pumped to see the male lion, because that can be rare especially since the park is in its dry season.

Then we headed back to Kampala yesterday morning, and we’re all back to “normal” life here which means constant dust, absurd traffic jams, and a faster pace of life. We got back close to dark last night (around 7:30) which freaked me out because I have a 15 minute walk from where I get off the taxi (public transport mini-buses) to my homestay. It was taking longer than expected to get home so I called my mom on the taxi to see she would meet me at the stop to walk with me, as I was going to be a huge target being a white girl with a huge hiking backpack with me. She said she would but we have a very difficult time understanding each other on the phone (and in person but that’s another story) so I was getting nervous about waiting on her in the dark. I walked a little up the road from where I get off because I didn’t want to stand in a huge crowd of people as it got to be really dark and sketchy, so I stopped at a shop with a light on outside with a few people. My mom said she’d leave to find me around 7:20 and we didn’t find one another until 8:00 so needless to say I had a little panic during these long 40 minutes. Thank God there were two super nice, helpful 23-year old guys who talked to me while I waited and even talked to my mom on the phone when she couldn’t find me and gave her directions. Without them, I probably would have freaked out completely because I was short on airtime (prepaid minutes on my Ugandan phone) and Ugandan schillings, so I was completely unsure of how I was going to get home safely in the dark if my mom couldn’t find me. While I waited the guys were super nice and asked me questions about America and taught me more Luganda (the language here). Once my mom finally found me, I was relieved to be back “home” and I got the warmest welcome from my whole family.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I hope that’s a good update for now mukwano! Siiba bulungi!


No comments:

Post a Comment