Thursday 5 April 2012

First Week in Gulu


Hey guys!

So the independent study/practicum part of the study abroad time has started and I’m currently living in Gulu in Northern Uganda. I absolutely adore it so far, and I can already tell six weeks here isn’t going to be enough time. Before I get into details about my time here I’ll back up and do stories I haven’t written about so far.

My last day in Kampala with my homestay family I went to an introduction ceremony with my homestay mom and her church lady friends. Introduction ceremonies here are a HUGE deal, and its basically the engagement stage where the bride is introducing the groom to her family for the first time at this huge, elaborate party that has around 600-1000 guests. The reason there’s so many is that it’s rude not to invite EVERYONE, so every single person in the village is invited and you can’t turn them away. My homestay mom also was really nice and had a gomes (spelling?) made for me, which I’m assuming is because she didn’t trust me to dress up nice enough for it. Gomes is the traditional Ugandan dress here with a floor length dress with very high shoulders, with a large, shiny belt thing tied around your waist. Everyone I talked to was so impressed I had a gomes on, so I was glad to fit in even if I felt absurd. I felt even more welcome when before going into the ceremony one of my mom’s friends told me turn around to show her and goes “Oh wow! You even have a butt, that is good!” So the ceremony was even more of a special experience because the groom was actually German, while the bride was Ugandan, so that made me for very interesting interactions, but at least I wasn’t the only mzungu there. The ceremony lasted from around 1230 to 730 (yep, 7 hours) and was filled with tons of dances and gift-giving trains. There’s a proper procedure with giving gifts to each part of the bride’s family, including her sisters, aunts, and parents, and each has to be done to music and dance. Then the bride was finally allowed to reveal the groom to everyone, so she dances through the tables to the back of the opposite tent to bring him out from where he’s been hiding. My personal highlight of the day was watching this white guy’s supremely awkward facial expressions, as he looked so overwhelmed by all the activity, singing and dancing going on.

With my mom's church friends before the ceremony
Traditional Buganda Dancing at the Introduction Ceremony


When we finally returned home that evening from the village it was time to say goodbye to my homestay family and move on to Gulu. It was actually a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, as I’m so appreciative for how giving and protective they’ve been over me. I’m going to miss my oldest sister Rashida the most because she always looked out for me and is one of the most hard-working, kind people I’ve ever met. The good news is we get to see the family again before we leave Uganda at the end of the program, so I’m looking forward to that.

After spending the night in Kampala city center, four of us left Monday morning, March 26th for Gulu! Jake and I were lucky enough to get seated next to boxes of about 400 live chicks for the 5 hour bus ride, so that was obviously a wonderful experience…definitely one of those TIA moments. After arriving we made our way to Tropikana Inn which was recommended to us, and it’s where we’ve since decided to make our home. The owner is an older lady called Big Momma, and she’s the best. And no joke, we have no idea what her real name is, we just address her as Big Momma whenever we need something. We’ve come to love the place, as we all have our own rooms that surround this sort of tile courtyard where we can do laundry or layout at. It’s much cooler on the tile than in our rooms so we spend a lot of time out there relaxing or doing work. Also, the showers, toilets, and sinks are outside in the courtyard but I actually love the set-up and the shower pressure is the most amazing thing ever. On a side note, Gulu is SO insanely hot. I thought Kampala was bad, but Gulu is hotter and drier so the cold shower at Tropikana at the end of everyday is beyond amazing.

our travel companions for the trip to Gulu

Another thing to love about Gulu is the fact that taxi-buses aren’t here really at all, so boda-bodas are the main form of transportation. Hence, I get to take one everyday to and from work and anywhere else I go, so I absolutely love that. It gets interesting when I’m expected to wear skirts pretty much daily, but I’m learning to manage. Gulu is also not very big, the town part consists of about 8 main streets where most of the shops and businesses are clustered, and then not very far outside of this it gets pretty rural and spread out. It’s a million times more preferable here than Kampala, and I love feeling like I know the way around the town already. The other unique thing about Gulu is that there’s so much NGO and international relief presence here, that people don’t even look twice when they see a mzungu. I haven’t been called mzungu once (except for little kids) and it’s insane how much that feels like a breath of fresh air. Additionally great is that the international community presence here has lead to the presence of mzungu restaurants and supermarkets, so if I want a coffee drink or a cheeseburger I can find one (along with free WiFi!). There’s also an Ethiophian restaurant right next to Tropikana where you can get a huge plate of pasta and fresh made tomato sauce for 3 bucks, gotta love that.


So now onto the work I’m doing here. Like I said previously, I wanted to research PRDP implementation in Northern Uganda, blah blah blah. But it’s altered a little bit because I’m interning at Ker Kwaro Acholi which is the Acholi cultural institution, and this has given me a little more of a cultural perspective on reconstruction, rather than all political. But this has been a total blessing, because the things I get to do in the organization are so cool and probably something I’ll never get to do again. For example, last week I got to sit in on a meeting between local Acholi leaders and the Ministry of Gender on HIV/AIDS, Gender Based Violence and Maternal Health so I got to see where the communities stand on these issues, the challenges they’re facing, and the way to fix them. It’s really interesting because the area is so affected by issues such as these because for 20 years they were pretty much cut off from all services or information due to the war and conflicts. For example, an Acholi chief leader stated that the problem is some people believe that AIDS will just disappear on its own like other epidemics have, so its hard to sensitize them on how to prevent it. So that was Day One on the job, on Day Two Ker Kwaro had 54 local Acholi chiefs come here for a Peace-building Traditional Justice Conference. The goal was to emphasize the importance of the Acholi cultural norms and practices to them as tools of peace-building and reconciliation within their communities. This is a huge issue they have to face because so many ex-combatants from the war are returning to communities and the people must find someway to address these tensions.  Ugandan court systems don’t have anywhere near the capacity to handle this many complaints and issues, so the people and their traditional leaders need to take the problems into their own hands in order to create stability in their communities. The system is in a lot of ways similar to the Gacaca Court system that was instituted in Rwanda post-genocide because the court system was ridiculously backed up with cases, and didn’t have anywhere near the capacity to handle them. So instead, they went back to their roots and started using Gacaca Courts to bring guilty people forward who could admit their guilty actions in front of the community and then be forgiven. My amazement with these traditional court systems is their capacity for forgiveness, because I imagine it would be so insanely difficult to forgive person after person who had wronged the community so that society could move on and stop focusing all their efforts on dwelling on the past. 
Traditional Justice Meeting with Acholi Chiefs


Later in the week on Friday, I got to work and my boss Santo (he reminds me of Baloo from the Jungle Book) called me into his office and out of the blue told me I was going with him to a meeting in town he had been invited to on women LRA ex-combatants. It was organized by the District Reconciliation and Peace Team and World Vision on the subject of Anti-Stigma and Reconciliation and our organization was invited to speak on peace-building and reconciliation. The need for this meeting was because many of the women who were formerly abducted into the LRA were returned home to their communities and expected to reintegrate, but multiple follow-ups have shown that the reintegration and reconciliation process hasn’t been smooth and that many of these women are having a lot of difficulty moving forward in their lives. A lot of the problems are because people in the communities assume that since the women were in the bush that they chose to join the LRA and therefore were responsible for the conflict and devastation from the LRA. Hence, the women are outcasts and are rejected by society and even their family members. What’s worse is that the children they had in the bush are also ostracized and associated with the LRA. This is sickening because the women were abducted, forced to be wives to LRA commanders/soldiers, forced to bear their children and then these are the women who are left with the burden to bear along with the children who clearly had no choice in their destiny to be born in the war. As if this wasn’t enough to digest, I then was told that one of the women who was contributing to the discussion had been one of Kony’s wives. He’s rumored to have had fifty or more, which is ironic for a man who claims to be so religious and godly. The woman looked around my age, but was abducted when she was twelve and had three children while living in the bush with Kony. It was so incredibly difficult to sit and hear her speak, it honestly made me nauseous like I was going to pass out because I just kept imagining how indescribably awful it must have been for her to live through that and then on top of that be a partner to one of the most evil men on earth. Even now typing this it’s making me sick to my stomach because I can’t imagine anything more repulsive than having to bear Kony’s children. In addition, she now has to raise the children, just like the other women ex-combatants, and said she just wants to care for them despite their background and educate them and raise them in the Acholi culture without stigmatization. The whole meeting was really eye-opening because I think a lot of people, including myself, fail to think about all aspects of the effects of war, so no matter how many schools or roads get built in Northern Uganda now, it’s still not going to create a peaceful community until these women get the justice they deserve and the children get the peaceful futures they’re entitled to. By the end of the meeting, the police commanders, local government officials, and other organizations present vowed to help join together and fight the stigmatization and find more processes that would allow for more effective reintegration and peace-building. Also interesting was the District Commissioner from the Police Force that said “we won’t stop going after the LRA until the last person in captivity is brought home, we will not relent,” because it showed the conflict is still ongoing and nearby even if the LRA have moved out of Uganda.

The succeeding weekend in Gulu was awesome because we for the first time on the whole trip actually had free time to do what we wanted. Saturday afternoon my work friends invited me and my SIT friend Jake to go with them to an Acholi introduction ceremony, and it was so fun. I think it was a better experience because it was one, shorter and two, with people closer to my age. The girls I work with wouldn’t leave until I danced in front of everyone, so I got pushed to join the gift-giving dancing train for the bride. That was really fun, and I got to break out my gomes dress again. One of Jake and I’s favorite moments was when a group of older women after dinner formed their seats into a circle and then broke out a handle of Uganda Waragi (disgusting, cheap gin) that they passed around and danced with. It was quite the party (pictures below). Besides that we explored the town a lot, slept in, and even found a pool to wrap up an awesome weekend. Monday morning, April 2nd, it was back to work and I headed to Pajule town in Pader district with Maggie, the program coordinator for a Traditional Court Training for the Acholi chiefs and their court staff. Our Ker Kwaro taxi is in the shop, so we had the pleasure of finding our own transportation to this district and naturally Maggie found us a random car that happened to be going to the same town that we could hitchhike with. What resulted was a 3 hour ride in a car that was I swear about 15 minutes from breaking down, and then to add to my claustrophobia, had four people in the backseat on a dirt, insanely pot-holed road. Good times. But the traditional court training was again a really great experience. They began the first day by educating them on human rights and what this means for peace-building and conflict settlement. At first I was baffled by this because basic human rights seem so obvious in the Western World, but then I understood that after 20 years of war where your part of the country had been cut off from the outer world and most development movements, you wouldn’t grasp the scope of human rights either. So the first goal was to help them understand women, children, and those with disabilities all have the same human rights as men and that we are all entitled to them and therefore they should be upheld by leaders and the government. The discussion got interesting when the topic of bride inheritance got brought up, because the more progressive leaders think this should be outlawed, as it’s a violation of women’s rights, but many other more traditional leaders said in this case that human rights are infringing on culture. So I think it will be a slow process because you can’t expect cultures to change overnight, but I think these human rights will be incorporated gradually as development picks up in the North. The next goal was to teach them the traditional court mechanisms along with alternative dispute resolution and communication methods to utilize to resolve conflicts in their communities. These lessons will play a big role in land disputes that are probably the biggest conflict topic in this post-conflict society because after 20 years it’s very difficult to determine what land belongs to whom. At the end of the second day, each court staff member received a bicycle so that they can more easily reach all of their community members (villages are REALLY spread out) to sensitize them on human rights and administer justice.
with my work friends Maggie and Betty before the Acholi introduction ceremony

Traditional Acholi dancing at the Introduction Ceremony in Gulu


Then came getting home, which was another interesting experience of course. To get out of Pader, we had to wait an hour for a guy who happened to be going to where we needed to be to catch the bus back to Gulu. So we all hop in and then down the road pick up this poor guy who had jumped off a truck and broke his leg and probably something else because he was gushing blood. I felt so bad for him because the road was so bumpy and when I told him I hoped he felt better soon he didn’t even notice because he was in so much pain. After awhile we made it to Acholi Bur where we waited another hour and a half for the bus coming from the South Sudan border to take us to Gulu. I filled the time by making a baby cry. She was so cute and I was trying to wave at her and play with her, but when her dad made her shake my hand she went absolutely nuts and freaked out. I felt awful, but the dad said it was because “you’re the first mzungu she’s ever seen.” By the way, we were in the complete middle of nowhere at this point. Around 5 we finally caught the bus and made it back to Gulu in time for me to join my friends for dinner. The rest of this week has been pretty smooth, and I got to interview the District Speaker today on PRDP which was really helpful. I’m looking forward to the Easter weekend, and our friends from Invisible Children are coming back to Gulu so we’re talking about getting a goat for the Easter celebration. Should be a great time. Also, as I’m typing this I’m listening to all the ladies of the office talk about how I must stay longer and marry a Ugandan man. During the past few days they’ve made several remarks about how many cows I would get as a brideprice and that they would be so proud to marry me to an Acholi guy. That should be amusing for the next few weeks…

Also, I’ve finally booked my ticket home so my family can breathe a sigh of relief. They got lucky I did that last week or else I’d probably stay longer in Gulu because I love it so much. But after wrapping up stuff in Kampala I’m going back to Kenya to see baby Jessamy, my Uhuru Child friend Lydiah, and spend some time at the coast! I can’t wait.

Until next time!

Jessamy

No comments:

Post a Comment